Tools

A place to ask any questions you may have from the Beginnier's Corner articles, or other beginner's questions

Moderators: Joe Herrmann, Robert Gulley

Postby N_Addy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:19 pm

So fill us in on what setup you chose. Lathe, tools, etc.
N_Addy

Postby Winter577 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:37 pm

I got that 6-piece set of Samona tools I'd been looking at for a while. The grinder I'm waiting for is a General International 6" slow speed with 80 and 120 grit aluminum oxide wheels. The Lathe I have is a Mastercraft mini-lathe. Not what I would've chosen, but it was a christmas gift so I'm not going to complain. It'll get me started. My space is really limited so I had some mdf cut to match the top of desk I use for my soapstone carving. It's sturdy and just the right hight. The lathe is bolted to one of the pieces of mdf and I just clamp it in place when I want to do some turning, so I can use that desk for all my crafts. I just rent a small house so my workshop is very limited and improvised.
Winter577

Postby N_Addy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:52 pm

Sounds like you're in business. You'll enjoy that gear.

Let us know what your first turning is (and post some pics if you've got 'em)!
N_Addy

Postby Winter577 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:48 am

sadly I do not have a camera, but I'll definately let you know how things work out. Once I've done a little practicing to get a feel for the tools I'll probably try turning out some crystal ball stands. The ones I've carved from soapstone have been quite popular.
Any tips you could offer for when I start my first turnings?
Winter577

Postby Joe Herrmann » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:06 pm

Just make sure that your tools are sharp--that's one of the biggest mistakes beginners make.

I'd also recommend that you join a local chapter of the AAW is there is one near you. Lots of help available there and nothing beats having someone show you how to do something as opposed to reading it out of a book.

Joe
Joe Herrmann
Site Moderator

Re: Tool sets

Postby kylebowers » Fri May 19, 2006 10:19 am

These chisels look great compared to the set I purchased at HF for about the same price. I'm was going to order a set but they are out of stock right now.

Robert Gulley wrote:Just got a Penn State Industries catalog this morning and they list a set, #LCAN6S a six piece set, for $44.95 (US). It is made of high speed steel, and has all the basics in it except for a decent spindle gouge (the one in the set is one of the hybrid ones I mentioned in a previous post). But for starting out, it really looks like a good set. Just add a 3/8" spindle gouge at some point and you will have everything you need to do a lot of turning. For less than the cost of a single "name brand" tool you get 5 highly usuable tools and one okay tool.
Their web address is: www.pennstateind.com
kylebowers

Re: Tools

Postby uncle T » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Be sure that you don't get the stone stand to thin on the concave parts of the stand as you know already that it will break.
Iv'e been turning stone for years and if you need any help give me a holler.
Turn it on!
uncle T

Previous

Return to Beginner's Corner